Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Is this child abuse?

Kaitlyn wrote a paper today in school about 3 wishes....

I wish for a small puppy, because I love pets and animals.

I wish for a kitten that is cute, because they are nice animals.

I wish that I can stop sucking my thumb so I can get a toy, because I don't want my DAD to break all the bones in my mouth!

( We have really been trying to help her understand why it is important to stop sucking her thumb. It is starting to affect the bone structure in her mouth. This comes from a conversation about why her teeth don't touch together like other peoples, and why her jaw hurts when she wakes up after sucking her thumb all night!) Poor Kid, I think I scared her to death. But she is still sucking her thumb!

5 comments:

  1. Poor girl, she is so sweet!! Thumb sucking is such a hard habit to break. My grandma scared me and told me my thumb would fall off. That was enough to make me quit.
    I am all about a girls night, just tell me when and where and I am there!!!:) It would me much needed, and well deserved...we work hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the struggle I had with your Brother Chad. Remember the gray stone castle? that was only one of the many ideas we tried. I think it took a lot of determination on his part to finally quit. Mom and Dad, and Grandpa can help but in the end she needs to do it for herself or it will be short lived. But on the other hand, Bishop TURNER has turned out very compassionate to the needs of others. Love ya, Grandpa Turner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it just so cute when they are babies and suck their thumbs. I just love that, but yes it is a hard thing to overcome. We wish her luck on such a hard thing to break. Nothing but Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What did her teacher say about number 3? I can just imagine what she was thinking if she isn't aware of Joe's occupation. That will be one to save for sure. I wish I knew a magic trick for thumb sucking, but it sounds like it is a hard one to beat. You will have to replace the comfort she receives from sucking her thumb with something else. What...I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That can be so hard! Especially with a dentist for a dad! My aunt used this icky paste specifically for thumb suckers. You put it on their thumb, it's clear, it's supposed to stay on for most of the day and evey time she puts it in her mouth it will taste horrible!! That might help. I don't know the name of it, but I'm sure you can find something on the internet about it. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete