Tuesday, October 30, 2007

7 days of bad luck

It all started when Kaitlyn came home from school and announced that someone at school had given her a "Bad Luck" charm......

My Mom came to visit which is always such a treat for me. I LOVE my MOM!! Her flight was delayed several hours and she didn't arrive until 4:00 in the morning! It is kind of a family joke that whenever my Mom travels or plans a trip you can count on bad weather. Well this one was no different after the worst drought in Kentucky history, as I was driving to the airport at 4:00 in the morning, it started to RAIN! (something we haven't seen in months!) The next afternoon we got a phone call from home. My Dad owns his own construction business. He had fallen off 12 foot roof and shattered his heel up into his ankle. He was told to stay off of it for two weeks to let the swelling go down before surgery.We are so fortunate that only his leg is broken, it could have been so much worse. The next few days were filled with concern and uncertainty not sure whether to send Mom home, or keep her in Kentucky. My brothers all pitched in and helped out when they could, so she was able to stay the whole time. (Thanks guys!)The next day we got another phone call and her roof at home had been leaking. My Dad was stuck in bed so again my brothers ( you gotta love them) pitched in and tore out all the carpet and took care of the leak.
Then came the weather in Kentucky, TORNADO'S ! Not something our family takes lightly after my Grandmothers house was hit when I was growing up. That made for a fun filled evening, Joe was gone teaching a class of 14 Female Dental assistants, who were also panicked, and his girls at home were a mess too! (girl drama overload, poor guy) The week wouldn't have been complete without throwing a few sick kids into the picture. Kaitlyn had strep throat, and Madelyn had a terrible cold. Which is no surprise since we had 3 days filled with drenching rain which we desperately needed. Kentucky went from the worst drought ever to the wettest October ever, in just 3 days! ( You can thank my Mom for the rain!!) We thought things were starting to look up when the day before my Mom left my washer started making a clunking sound! With 3 kids and more company coming in, I couldn't be without a washer for very long! The washer story deserves a blog of it's own!! I am proud to say my mom and I had the washer bought, loaded and even installed by ourselves by the end of the day. That is one appliance I don't think I could live without!
Our bad luck streak seems to be improving. And looking back in each of these trials there was a blessing that also came with it. I was so impressed with my Dad's attitude in all of this. I borrowed this quote he sent me.
"Bad breaks... need not break a good man; They may with God's help even make him better." Neal A Maxwell - Experience, pp 40-41

Even through our bad luck streak we were able to have a good time though. We went to the Zoo trick or treating, Huber's Farm pumpkin picking, Christmas shopping and more.





We told the girls they could pick any pumpkin they wanted, as long as they could carry it. They had so much fun finding the perfect one!


5 comments:

  1. What a week! I am so glad your mom was able to stick it out with you. I am also glad she is back home now to mend your dad back to health. Mom's are so good at taking care of everything! I am so impressed that you installed your washing machine. I will have to keep that in mind in case I catch a wind of bad luck...which may be coming my way considering our van is acting so strange! Let's hope that is it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, this just on the heels (uh, no pun intended...) of Shaun's accident! Those Turner Boys better be careful!! In all seriousness, though, I am really glad your dad is okay. And I'm sure a lot of people are thanking your mom for bringing the rain (tornadoes and all)! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole tornado thing brings up an interesting question... if trailer parks didn't exist, would tornados? That's a deep thought by Jack Handy-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, I miss you! You always have such a good attitude! What a week. You always gotta be grateful for the lessons learned and that they're finally OVER!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll bet it was fun taking your girls to Huber Farms to pick out their pumpkins. Cute pictures. Hey Jess, I tagged you so check out my blog to read about me and to see what you need to do.

    ReplyDelete