Saturday, October 6, 2007

Thinking PINK

The Breast Cancer Site


Okay LADIES, If you are not a LADY you should stop reading right NOW! Beings this is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I thought I would share a very personal story. About 3 weeks ago I went to see my Ob-Gyn. I had a spot on my breast that was bothering me. My doctor had a very quizzical look on his face and replied " If you were my daughter or my wife I would want this checked out. So that is what we are going to do, I am going to send you for a MAMMOGRAM!" (YIKES) I was terrified. First of all I am 28! I am to young to be starting mammograms! I tried really hard not to think about it. But I was a total wreck the night before my mammogram. Partly for the unknown and partly because of the procedure itself! I honestly do not think I have ever been that worried about a test ever! I was so fortunate though there was a Doctor on hand the day of my Mammo. He looked at the images while I waited to see if I needed any more tests done. I am so relieved and grateful everything seems to be fine.
My heart goes out to those women that go in and have that same experience, with very different ending results! My life literally could have been turned upside down in a matter of minutes. I am running the race for the cure next Saturday. I signed up to do this long before my little incident. I am really excited about it though, and just want to put my plug in for breast cancer! I found this link(at the top of the page)that you can click on everyday and sponsors help pay for Mammograms. If they have 500 clicks on their site in October their top sponsor will pay for 150 mammograms! (Might I just add they are not cheap, and I am not really sure why we pay for insurance when they don't pay more for things like this!) Once you click on their site on the right side it says in a pink box click here to give-it's free! Click that box and your done! Okay so that is my ten cents. Do your part and click when you can!

9 comments:

  1. how scary jess! i'm so glad that nothing was found. good luck on the race. i'll come watch, but i think i'll sit this one out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so scary, Jessica! Wow. I know that feeling. Just before I got pregnant with Miranda, I found a small lump under my left breast. My doctor removed it and biposied it, but I had to wait 10 days for the test results. Talk about stressful! Turned out to be just a cyst, thank goodness. You gave me chills, though, just thinking about how someone else's life COULD be turned upside just that fast. Scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not looking forward to this race. If it wasn't for such a good cause, I might have bailed out of it. Then again, I want the t-shirt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank goodness all is well! BTW, I didn't know that you are 28. I always thought that you were older than me, turns out I am the one older. I guess you are just more mature!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad everything is o.k. So true how fragile life is. I do not look forward to the whole mamogram experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so scary!! I'm glad everything is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an ordeal. I am so glad that you were proactive and your doctor was also. Also I am relieved for you. What a good experience to share with us to point out how real and unpredictable breast cancer can be. Thanks for your courage. I am so impressed with your athleticism. You go girl. Good luck on the race. (actually it is over now.) Hope you did your best. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. my dad's best friend....who is a guy got breast cancer and had his nipple removed. people tend to think that breast concern can only happen to girls so he was a little embarrassed but ended up going on oprah and other news shows to make sure guys are aware of it too..its just not as common. glad you are ok!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jess-what an eye opening experience for all of us (especially me). Teaches me that I need to be proactive, because things happen. I am so glad that you are ok, and that you were brave enough to share your story!

    ReplyDelete