Wednesday, March 26, 2008

So much change, so little time...

These last few weeks have really been a trip!! We went to Montana and interviewed with 3 dentist the last week in February. We came home and put in an offer to one on the 5th of March and by the 7th we were Moving to Billings Montana and starting April 1st! The Moving truck showed upon the 17th at 1: 30pm and was gone by 4:30, by 7:00 we were on our way in the van pulling the Malibu behind!
(Monday the 17th)The first night we didn't get to far we made it to Indianapolis! We were so exhausted from our day of moving and cleaning.
(Tuesday the 18th)The second day we made it quite a bit farther all the way to Sioux falls Iowa! I was so sad we didn't get to go to Nauvoo. Towing the car slowed us down quite a bit, not to mention all the stops for our carnivorous children. I swear they were hungry every minute of every day! As it turned out we would have hit some of the terrible flooding that was there had we have gone.
(Wednesday the 19th)The next day somewhere in South Dakota the transmission in the van decided it had had enough! We are so fortunate we back tracked about 20 miles to this little place that seriously had a mechanic, a u-haul drop, a truck stop and a car wash! The people were so nice. They flushed our transmission, took the U-haul dolly back, we washed the transmission fluid off the vehicles, and ate at the truck stop! ( which by the way was the BEST meal we ate!) And we were off now in 2 vehicles driving separately! ( The mechanic was so awesome he actually called us about 2 hours after we left to see if we were stranded or if the transmission was going to hold out! )
We are so frustrated at the U-haul company. When we moved to Kentucky the truck broke down 3 times and we ended up completely unloading and loading our stuff onto a new truck! And then had to beg for reimbursement for the days it took to get us a different truck. This time we just rented a dolly from them to pull the car. After they told me the full trailer that you pull your car completely onto was to heavy for our van, they tried to give it to us for the same price as a favor, because they didn't have a dolly on the lot. We went to a different store and got the dolly that was within the weight limit for our van. But the hitch they put on rubs against the muffler and makes a terrible noise and we feel like the problems we had on this trip could have been avoided. Come to find out we were maxed out on the weight limit, especially with 5 people in the car too.( They failed to mention that small detail too) The moral of the story is avoid using u-haul at all costs, I promise it is worth the extra bucks to go with a different company!
We made it all the way to Rapid City, South Dakota! ( And did I mention our truck was already in billings Montana!) We got up and went to Mount Rushmore,and stopped at an old time taffy shoppe, that pulled their own taffy. Then we hit the road again!
Finally, Thursday night we made it to Billings and in time to swim in the hotel pool too!!
Friday morning we met our truck driver and began the dreaded process of unloading the truck we had just loaded, and up to the 3rd floor too!! We were so blessed to have a few missionaries stop by to help us unload. The elevator was a huge help too!
My parents came over Easter, to help with the kiddo's and to unload boxes. Thanks Mom and Dad! The Easter bunny did find us the kids were very concerned! We are moved in and almost box free! (Almost)
Now I just have to keep my kids quiet for the next 6 months. The hallways outside our apartment door looks like a big race track and there are 3 flights of stairs to race down. We also have a nice round about inside the apartment that you can run around in a circle! Not to mention the singing, fighting, giggling, crying, stomping, and slamming that happens with 3 little girls!
Kailtyn loves school, who wouldn't it is an hour and 15 minutes shorter they have 3 recesses, no uniforms and NO homework. She has died and gone to heaven!! The girls ( Kaitlyn and Jenna) also got haircuts to their shoulders! A fun spring thing to do ! I will post pictures as soon as I can find them....
For now we are safe and sound in Billings, and looking forward to closing on the biggest purchase of our life on March 31st! This last month has been so crazy and I think I finally had enough time to absorb it all today. My tear ducts have been a bit over active today as I realize our families are not as close as they seemed( still 8 hours away) And our "Fill in" family ( our dear friends) are even farther, now that I have made that drive! I am feeling like a fish out of water. But we are excited for what the future will bring to our family.

13 comments:

  1. So glad that you made it safe. Good luck with keeping the kids quiet. I remember feeling that way after we moved here, and we just had the one. I have now given up, it's all apart of the apartment living expierence, right?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you so much but are so proud of your accomplishments so far. Don't forget - just Google for any important piece of information, like how to start a dental practice. Fillings in Billings! You're the best!

    Love ya from Kentucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, I am so excited for you guys! I'm so glad you made it safe! However, your stories on moving are always enough to make me sick. Uhaul just hasn't been the best choice for you guys! So sorry, but good luck in these upcoming weeks! I'm glad to know you're there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. AM I a bad friend for laughing hysterically right now. And Ty too?! I swear you guys foster drama, as there is NEVER a dull moment in your lives. I have never heard of one single GOOD thing about Uhaul. I thought you guys were doing UPack? Or something like that? Well, I'm glad you're there safe and sound. We miss you guys already... especially as we were just thinking of a camping trip to do in a few weeks... Keep posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica and Family--we miss you SOOO much! We miss your little girls and are so happy that at least you blog so we can kind of keep up with your lives. Ryan (unclehead) wants to say hi to the girls. We never got to say bye! We love you girls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh . . . .!!!! You made it!!! Wish we had been able to be there to help out and see your new city. Take pics (like you have nothing else to do, right?) so we can see you in your new habitat. I don't know when we'll get to see you there - - - the kitchen goes on, and David just had surgery on Wednesday - - - but sooner or later we'll take the plunge and drive up to Billings. Congratulations on reaching such a big goal . . . you'll be an asset to your community. Just wish we were there or you were here. I keep telling myself that things are very, very good. Life isn't perfect. I'll settle for very, very good and be happy for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you made it there safely although it sounds like Uhaul has a conspiracy against you moving anywhere. Sorry I didn't get to say bye before you left but I wanted you to know how much you will be missed. Besides being such a great family you are such a great friend for my wife. I am so happy everyone blogs so I can keep up with their lives. I do have family there so hopefully one day we will get there to see you.
    I can surely see the girls enjoying the race track. I love it! Enjoy life and don't take the neighbors to seriously. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what an adventure! I really don't know how you did it with 3 girls!! Kudos for you! How exciting to own your own practice. I hoep you guys like and Montana, sounds fun! We are officially moving to Farmington, NM and we are excited. Christian got a really good job out there. I really don't look forward to moving agian after just a year, but we will start building a house as soon as we get there, so I can't complain. Godd luck with everything and keep us updated. Gina

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're so glad you made it safe and sound! What an adventure. Good luck with everything ahead. We look forward to hearing how everything is. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Pocatello is only 6 hours, 8 minutes away according to mapquest.... We're probably about 9 1/2 hours away,........ but thats MUCH closer than the 27 hours away that you were...
    How was the first day???
    And pictures..... we need pictures (as if you don't have enough to do right now!!!) We are so glad that you are there safe and sound.... and look forward to all your fun adventures in "Hanna Montana"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, is all I can say. That is one hectic trip. I bet you were glad you felt good about the move BEFORE all this!!! Did you say you stopped in Sioux Falls??? Stop crossing my path, girl! That's where I was born, and my mom's family still lives there! WEIRD!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad you made it safely. I miss you guys. Andy's surgery went longer than I expected so I didn't get to say good bye. Just know that you were a great friend to so many, including me. There is a special place in my heart for you. Montana is lucky to have the Yates family. I will check back for the updated girls pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jess-I have been "out of it" the past little while, and was so shocked to read that you found a practice and moved from Louisville! I wasn't expecting that until June! It sound like you have had a crazy time. I don't know if moving across the country can be a smooth experience.

    I hope you make some friends fast! We also live 8 hours away-which is further than I would like-but it still is within driving distance which is a comfort.

    Keep us updated and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete