Thursday, November 15, 2007

Baby Talk

My other girls seemed to talk a lot! Madelyn doesn't really seem to care much about the whole talking thing. She says MAMA in a very demanding tone. For a long time everything was MAMA. She has added a few words Ball, Daddy, MINE and her most recent Bubble! It seems to me that my other girls said a lot more at this age ( could be my selective memory.)
Anyway it is something I have been working on with her. I have never used sign language with my other kids. But started looking into a little. I found this site
http://www.signwithme.com/ It explains the sign and shows you a small video clip of the sign. I am so impressed with how Madelyn has done with this. She has learned 5 signs in the last 2 days and really seems to like it. (please, more, bath, bedtime, and drink) She also tries to say the word with the sign. Which I feel is a huge step in her communication. I wish I would have started this earlier with her. It has been fun for all of us to learn something new. It is also fun to see her come up with her own signs when she is trying to tell me something. My favorite is when she opens her mouth and points at her tongue and says ahhhh. She wants something to eat.

6 comments:

  1. What a great resource. Trenton learned some sign language when he was starting speech therapy. He learned "all done, "more" and "drink." He also made his own sign for McDonald's. That is really pathetic I know. We still laugh about that one. Madelyn is doing great! She just has some many other people around her to listen to; she doesn't have a chance to get a word in :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definetly have to take a look. Thanks for the info. I am always looking for new ways to communicate effectively with Hadley. maybe her brothers could learn something too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... you are great! That is everything that he first 5 months of Noah's speech has taught us, so you're ahead of the game! And next is touch cues (I can show you those). Basically that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my friends here has a 2 year old little girl and she started sign language with her at 10 months! She knows so much. She taught her all the basic colors, eat, drink, tired, more, please, thank you, etc. I would really like to start teaching Delia how to sign to start earlier communication. thanks for the website, I will definately check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother totally signs with his little kids, and it really is amazing what they know! It's kind of cute to watch them communicate back and forth! (Unfortunately, then I can't communicate with his kids!!!!) :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a hard age because they know what they want, but can't verbalize it so all you get is MAMAAAAA! I love the sign language idea. What a great concept.

    ReplyDelete