Sunday, November 4, 2007

Tis the Season

With Halloween behind us, it seems it is time to look towards Christmas!! I can hardly believe it is that time of year again.
As my girls get older I feel like they should be more involved in the whole Christmas process. I would like to help make their Christmas more meaningful by giving them opportunities to earn money and then use it to purchase/make gifts for others in the family. It is a great thought isn't it! Here is the problem, I am completely at a loss at how to begin. Does anyone have any great ideas on how they have involved their families more for Christmas??
I guess this brings me to another petty confession. My kids rarely do chores and I feel like I am doing them such a disservice. We have tried a few different things but nothing has really stuck. I am torn between the whole allowance thing. I don't want them to think every time they pick up a sock they should be rewarded. However, I do feel like they are getting old enough that I would like to teach them some basic money management.(save 4 quarters earn a trip to the dollar store. ) I would like them to be able to have some daily or even weekly responsibilities!! I know a few of you out there have figured this out and have "happy" helpers in your home right now! I need all the help I can get, any thoughts....

3 comments:

  1. Now is the time to "seize the day" when it comes to getting kids to help with chores. At that age, they still think it's fun. Then, it's already part of the family routine as they get older. I think we had a FHE about it when Jared and Johnny were younger. We talked about all the jobs everyone in the family has: dad goes to school/work, mom helps w/ kids, laundry, etc (keep that list short, as they won't be able to fathom the reality of that list - hahaha! J/K), and then ask them what they think their job could be to help. They get very excited at the prospect of being a "part" of the bigger picture. Then the most basic job chart will be enough to do the trick. Even if Kaitlyn's only job is to help set the table, or put her clothes by the washer, if it's on a chart, and she does it, it should be rewarded. Then, they get more motivated, and so on. My boys know that they do not get their allowance unless they do their chores. They shouldn't get an allowance just to get money; they definitely should be earning it. And it's never too early to start teaching them about the value of money and tithng. It really does help them gain a greater understanding when they want something as to what it takes to earn that. And yes, they will get a great satisfaction out of actually purchasing gifts themselves. You'll be surprised! So go for it! Now is the perfect time - start basic, but at the same time, you'll be surprised at how much they really "get it." :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have been doing a great job helping your girls learn responsibility. I loved hearing Kaitlyn tell us that she bought souviners in Chicago with her own money. So great! I am at a complete loss with this. I am awful at sticking with any kind of chore assignment. I always give up and do it myself. So, I will be checking this post often to see what ideas everyone has. Deanna, your's was very inspiring. I like the idea of having a FHE to do it because things always seem to go better when it is a part of FHE rather than in a random dinner discussion. It seems more official.

    ReplyDelete