Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A new addition to the family

Last weekend we went camping by Nolin Lake with the Borders and the Woodens. It is always fun to see different areas of the State. Kentucky is truly beautiful, and HUMID! Sleeping in a tent with four other bodies doesn't help the heat any either. Fortunately, Madelyn woke up several times during the night, and I could go roam the woods in the dark with my crying kid! I think all the adults woke up the next morning wondering why we torture ourselves for a night like this. But one look at the energetic kiddos catching bugs, and playing in the fire, and a good s'more, seems to make it all worth while. We always have a good time when we go, and leave with lots of fun memories. This time we also left with a little more than a memory...
We found a FROG! Which was quickly adopted and claimed for her own, by none other than Jenna! The frogs name is Hoppy! I have never seen Jenna so attached to anything ever. She hates creepy crawly things. However, she nearly passed up swimming in the lake, just to be able to hold "Hoppy" a little bit longer.
We told the girls that when we left, the frog would have to stay. The closer we got to leaving, the more evident it was, that we were not going to be able to leave, without Hoppy the frog.
I had to pry the container out of Jenna's hand, just to drive in the car.(Call me Crazy, but I didn't want to have a flying frog land in my lap, as we were driving down the interstate!)Anyway we now have a cage for hoppy and so far she has fared well. (Poor Joe even our pets are female!)
I just hope she(the frog) lives long enough for the novelty of her existence to wear off a little. Jenna and I spent the afternoon catching bugs for hoppy. I have no idea how much they eat, but she downed 3 Rollie pollies, a fly , an ant, and a beetle in about 5 minutes. I am not sure how we are going to feed this little critter in the winter. I am going to have to pay neighbor kids to catch bugs for my frog!

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new baby! I think it is so adorable that Jenna is so attached. I don't envy the bug catching. We had a great time camping! I am so impressed that the Wooden's went to the cave after we left. I wish we would have felt like going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww... i can't believe you guys took that thing home! you are a good mom to allow that in your house. tell joe i have a good 'blackmail' photo of him in the lake doing some aqua tai-kwon-do... we were laughing hysterically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i did not go against blogging etiquette! there was nothing wrong with that picture! you can hardly even see you! :) i'll take it down...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! I hope you have better luck than we did when we bought fish and frogs there! How fun to camping with a big group...wish we would have done that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, I am totally kidding. Remember Joe saying something like you can only blog pictures of your own family, since there were no showers and we were all looking our very best! I really am just giving you a hard time. However you will need to email me those black mail pictures of Joe and his water Tai-qwon-do! I am pretty sure those could come in handy, say if he ever left me at the campsight by myself for the night....
    joeyates@wmconnect.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cute. I'm proud of Jenna. That's a big deal, but holy crap. It's a dang pig! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the club of "wild" pets! We can't let Trenton know about the frog, that is the newest thing that he wants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the story about the frog. I could have never brought it home! It sounds like a fun trip you guys had. We are excited to come see you in a month! Yippee!

    ReplyDelete