Monday, August 27, 2007

Two sides to every story

I have been a bit skittish lately about the dark! We have been finding a few rather large spiders in our house the last week. First we thought they were brown recluse spiders. Fortunately they are only Wolf spiders (as if that makes it okay) but they are huge and we have killed 3 in the last week. They come out at night or first thing in the morning. Joe has me completely freaked out of getting out of bed in the dark. (Don't worry Mom we have put out traps, and they will be gone before you get here in October! I hope)
Secondly I remembered at midnight that I hadn't taken the trash out for the trash man the next morning, so I did it at midnight. I got halfway down the driveway and there was some guy walking down my street. It totally took me off guard and spooked me. I quickly walked back flew up my stairs, shut and locked the door, and jumped into bed. Joe and I were Joking about it, wondering if he would have heard me, if I screamed. I am now convinced more than ever that he wouldn't have. Here is the Story:
It is 1:15 in the morning and I was awakened by some scratching noises. I sat up and sure enough I wasn't dreaming. I sat up and listened for awhile until I figured out which direction it was coming from. It seemed to be coming from the corner of our room where there is a window, but also Joe's closet! (Which might I add the hamper is hanging on the closet door, and he still can't get the clothes in it all the time.) I couldn't figure out if the noises were for sure coming from inside the house, or not. I listened and waited and then tried to wake up Joe. Okay Seriously, I was rolling his entire body from one side to the other, and it didn't even phase him! So I started tapping him frantically, still he didn't move. Finally I got in his face and was doing all of the above, at the same time, and shouting his name in a loud whisper. He woke up enough to say "what's up", rolled over, and went back to sleep! I woke him up again and said "Joe there is some kind of animal or something in our house and I have to go to the bathroom!" My big brave husband said, and I quote;"You better run fast!" Are you kidding me!! I thought husbands were suppose to protect you and laugh in the face of danger and all that stuff. I am happy to report I survived my trip to the bathroom, I think my feet only hit the floor 3 times from my bed to the bathroom!
By the time I got back the noises had stopped. I laid awake forever trying to go back to sleep. knowing that at any given moment a fuzzy nocturnal friend might crawl into my bed and my husband wouldn't even know it!

Okay so finally it is morning and Joe thinks I am making the whole thing up! I have been reading the book Twilight, it is about a vampire. He tells me on the way out the door that I should wear some garlic around my neck to be safe, until he gets home. So today I have cleaned out the entire corner no sign of animals, but there is a vent outside that goes under our house. It doesn't stay in, so I think some nocturnal animal is making a nest under my house! There is not a chance I am sticking my head in there to find out! Fortunately we are renting so I will be calling my landlord! But for now I put the vent back in place. I am fairly certain nothing bigger than spiders, oh and those really nasty cave crickets that look like spiders until they jump, live inside my house. But I will be prepared tonight with, at the very least, a flashlight, just in case!


Joe's Version of Events:
By Joe

Last night I was awoken by the sound of my wife's hushed whispers. Now, I try to be attentive to my dear wife's every beck and call, but the middle of the night is when she is at her least reliable self. I refer to the many nights when my wife has woken me with a conversation about the shopping cart tipping over, the sheriff is on the phone, the spiders under the bed, or most recently when I awoke to find her tossing her pillows in the air - apparently under the impression that she was in a contest where it was mandatory to throw your pillow the highest (true, the winner got out of having to do the dishes). As you might guess by this point, my wife's keen sense of judgement is sometimes impaired in the wee hours of the morning. My wife insists that there was a "nocturnal animal" in the closet. I however, did not hear anything of the sort. Which is why I rolled over and went back to bed! I love her though, even if she is a little loony at night.

17 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That is the craziest story ever. You guys are pretty funny. I can totally picture each of you saying the things you wrote. You will have to let me know if you really find a creature living under your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, you are hilarious! I loved your version...

    With the track record of your house with the possums under the shed, I'd be leary about sticking my head in there too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! I can picture all of this happening and I'm laughing hysterically! I don't know though... I might have to side with Joe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha ha, I think I know that scratching sound ALL TOO WELL!!! And yes, it does come in the middle of the night.... and wifes are more aware of it. (I have had such similar circumstances more than once!!!! ) I think you need a mouse trap!!!... I found out.... they can get in through the tiniest of spaces that I would have never thought possible. Hmmmm just a thought?????

    ReplyDelete
  5. there is no way we ran that race as quick as the fleet feet site says... because at the 2 mile mark they told me a time that was just a couple of minutes under what the site read. i swear mine is wrong, at least. and i know.. WOOTEN? whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! Thanks I needed a laugh today! That was a great idea to do both sides of the story. But could we please have some more info on the throwing the pillows at night! And as for the spiders that is so gross!!! Good luck getting rid of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummm Jess this is Jon speaking and I am going to have to say I believe your version of the story as much as you believe it was an accident when I hit you in the head at the water park. Joe I believe you buddy...and say HI to the GPRers for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jon,
    I am glad you can finaly admit it was no accident! It only took you 4 years, and how many states away are you....
    Mandy,
    I would love to fill you in with the rest of the pillow throwing contest....But upon waking up the contest no longer made any sense!( imagine that...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was HILAROUS! My mom called just I I finished reading and I was laughing so hard I had to read it to her. I was picturing the pillow contest and wouldlike longer versions of each of your dreams. They sound way more fun than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your life sounds the same to me...always crazy and a story to share! I miss you Jess! :) But we will see you soon! You better start planning a lunch out with me! First weekend in October!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yeah, Anzley keeps asking me if Jenna has started school and if she has Mrs. Simmons again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kim, I would love to do lunch! Just let me know your schedule.
    Jenna has Mrs. Wolken this year, but she is still at Christ Lutheran.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story! It is always interesting to hear the difference in the wife's and the husband's stories. Good luck getting rid of the spiders. I hate spiders, it's creepy the way they walk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All I can say is, you're both a little crazy! (That's how I can tell we're related.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So funny!! So Jessica, your are one of those crazy dreamers huh?!

    ReplyDelete